Friday, January 20, 2012

Personalized Soap Dispenser

So when I saw this link on pinterest, I knew that I wanted to try it! I checked out the website and headed out to Walmart to get right kind of soap dispenser, but I couldn't find it anywhere, so I just picked up a Dial dispenser.  After doing the project, I realize that one of my Bath and Body Works containers would have been  better to use.  First off, I already have so many.  Secondly, the Dial container holds less liquid than the BBW so when I get ready to refill it, I will still have extra left over from the BBW because it can't all fit.

So anyways-this was super easy- so much more than I thought.  I just emptied the liquid soap into a separate cup while I was making the bottle.  Since the container has to be spray painted, it needs to sit upright-just put some rocks or something small but on the heavy side inside so that it doesn't fall over.  I sprayed(*) mine and left it for about 2 hours to dry-the sun was setting so I added the extra time just to make sure it wasn't still wet.  That's it-easy tutorial LOL 

After it dried, I took the rocks out, cut a vinyl "S" out on my Cricut in creme colored vinyl.  I put it on the front and made sure it was adhered well.  Then I put the liquid soap back in and Viola!  Complete and it really does look well in the bathroom. 
**When I spray painted it, I used an outdoor textured spray paint that we had left over.  It was actually made for outdoor furniture-but we bought it because it has a brown/gold glittered texture and looks awesome!  We bought it for some other fixtures we wanted to "upgrade" in our bathroom and we still had some left over.  It looks so much better than just regular brown spray paint and was under $4 for the can, but it coats very well and covers better than normal spray paint.**

Wednesday, January 4, 2012

Let's Call Those HOGS!!

My family is big on the Razorbacks.  Anything Red and Hoggy is Totally Acceptable :)  I was in Michael's the other day (I know, Shocker, right?) and came across these wooden plaques-small about 4x4 size.  I thought...I can do something with this.  My intent was do some sort of Live, Laugh, Love or something, but by the time I got home, I realized I really need to focus on getting our foyer in the Game Room setup.  It has a goal-but we have not done a SINGLE thing to it!!  Sigh...maybe in the next year or two LOL
After realizing our procrastination, I decided to use the blocks in the game room.  They were going to be my Woo Pig Sooie! I started by just taking the blocks outside and spray painting them black.
Once they dried, I took some Razorback patterned scrapbook paper and cut down the paper to fit the front of the blocks- 3x3 1/8.  I used some modge podge and then put the paper down.  My next step was to modge podge on top of the paper to seal it in - MISTAKE!!  The modge podge made the red hogs bleed all over the white of the paper.  So, good thing I had leftovers on my sheet of paper (which the whole thing used less than a 12x12 piece of paper).

Since I couldn't use the modge podge as sealer, I went ahead and finished up the project.  I cut the words out with my cricut using Cuttin Up cartridge.  I used my Xyron to make it easy to place on the plaques.  I decided to try a spraying of Shellac for a sealer and it worked well.  It did freak me out when the paper got wet and it did NOT look good, but once it dried, it was all fine. 

Lastly, I took some black and white polka dot ribbon and decided to use it to hang the plaques on.  I used my staple gun to adhere the ribbon to the plaques and Viola!  Done!!  I now have the starts of getting our game room Razorback Ready :)