Monday, December 12, 2011

It's That Time of Year...

Totally and completley love the holiday season!!  I have tons to post, but only time to post this quick one for today.  This is a project that I found on Pinterest (I can hear the angels sing each time I think of that site) and so I knew I would just HAVE to try it!  It is just a simple picture frame made into an advent calendar-or frankly whatever you would like to use it for! 

I started off with just a plain black picture frame.  I think that a flat frame would be ideal-not sure that you would want to do it with a frame that had edges or any kind of decorative to the outside. I cut various sizes of circles out with my cricut-from 1/4 up to 1.5 inch circles.  I did this with both red and green circles and then I just put them scattered throughout the frame.  I just love the outcome!  My goal was to be an advent calendar, but really, this is cute as is for a frame.  But, of course, I had to stick with the goal in mind, so keep on reading! :)

I then took the glass out of the frame and applied about 3 layers of chalkboard paint on the glass.  Once that dried this is the finished product!!  I love it.  I could see taking the green circles off and using white or red and putting it in my kitchen for a "notes" board or a running grocery list.  I just loved the look, though.  I will say that afterwards I noticed that the chalk left a residue when I cleaned it, so I applied another 3 layers of chalkboard spray paint and that solved the problem.  I guess because it is a glass base it took a little more than a wood base would take.

Hope you can add this item to your Christmas Cheap Frugal Homemade Lists! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment